Venture: Making Black Lentil Soup with Rice
This is a super quick and easy recipe to make for lunch or dinner. Depending on how many pounds of black lentils that you buy, you can have this to last for 5 to 7 days, even with a large family. As I mentioned in one of my more recent posts, you are going to see a lot of recipes where I use cut-leaf spinach and fire-roasted salsa style diced tomatoes. This is also one of them. They are inexpensive, and I love the combination. The tomatoes give just the right kick without being overwhelming.
It would be too much like right if I could just give the recipe without a background story or some drama behind an ingredient. My friend and I went into Whole Foods about a month ago. When we got in the store, we both went our separate ways. I was happily pouring items into bags and weighing them over in the bulk session. My friend and her daughter were in bliss over in the bakery section. I was just finishing up on grabbing the black lentils, when I decided that I would purchase some split green peas. I pulled the lever down, and the lever got stuck. Literally six to seven pounds of split green peas went all over the floor, and inside the squares into between the bulk items. A worker came over to sweep up the mess. I tried to explain what happened, but I don’t think it was any comfort. She gave me grace by not saying anything and grabbing the broom and dustpan to take care of the clean-up job. At this point, I was thinking, maybe I should grab the almond flour and head to the front.
By the time that I got to the register, my friend and her daughter were there. I tell her about what happened, and how I had an embarrassing moment in the bulk section. She proceeded to tell me about her embarrassing moment in the bakery section. What’s an adventure to the grocery store without a little bit of drama? Here’s the recipe:
Making Black Lentil Soup with Rice
Total Prepping and Cooking Time:
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- italian seasoning
- Imagine low sodium vegan broth
- 2 pds. of black lentils
- 1 can of cut leaf spinach
- 2 cans of fire-roasted salsa style diced tomatoes
- Boil two cups of white rice.
- While the white rice is bowling, boil 8 cups of water, and add two pounds of black lentils after the water starts boiling.
- The lentils need to cook for about 35 minutes.
- Saute the spinach and tomatoes with oil or vegan butter.
- After the lentils are ready, add the broth and all the rest of the ingredients, except the rice.
- Cook for another 15 minutes.
- I kept the rice on the side and poured the black lentil soup on top.