This past weekend was one of a lot of relaxation, mixed in with an onset of allergies that came crashing my way. When my allergies get this bad, the best thing for me to do is to try to relax as much as possible, although this was my plan for the weekend anyway. While relaxing, I got caught up on the episodes of Baked in Vermont and Focus on the Family that were sitting in the DVR box. I am not a super sweets person. However, by the time that you finish watching this show, you’ll be wanting to bake with whatever ingredients that you can get your hands on.
On Sunday, I stopped at the grocery store after church to get the ingredients for this super quick vegan meal. I love the challenge of making healthy meals involving all different kinds of beans and legumes. One thing about this meal is that it only requires a few ingredients. I made the same recipe a couple of weeks ago. However, I used black-eyed peas instead of black beans. Both meals were good and filling. The black bean version kept me full longer. If you decide to give it a try, send a comment down below, or an email with your thoughts on how it turned out.
Here is the recipe:
Activity: Making Vegan Black Beans with Quinoa & Zucchini Mix
Total Prepping and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 3 teaspoons of onion powder
- 3 zucchinis
- 3 cans of organic black beans
- 1 box of Earthly Grains Quinoa/Brown Rice Blend with Rosemary and Olive Oil (from Aldi’s)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil or butter
- Place the three cans of black beans and the brown rice with rosemary packet into a pan of two cups of water. (I only used a fourth of the packet to cut down on sodium).
- Add the onion powder.
- Cut the zucchini into strips with a potato peeler.
- Saute the zucchini strips.
- Dump the zucchini into the pan after about 18 minutes, letting the mixture cook for another 12 minutes.
“By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35, NIV
Have a blessed night!