Going for the Grits
When it comes to breakfast, most of us eat the same few things every morning. I know I do. I am one who has always needed the extra protein boost. I always start off by munching on two to three brazil nuts in the morning. If there’s orange juice available, you can believe that a small glass is just enough to get me going. Sometimes, I immediately figure out what I am going to eat for breakfast. However, most times it’s just too early to process everything, and so, if it’s a weekday, I then proceed to figure out what I can make my kids really quick so that they can head out the door for school. Then, I can take my time to fix myself something to eat. This time, I decided to something different with grits.
I love cheesy grits. On this past Monday, I wanted to do something with a little bit of a twist than the usual, so after making the grits the regular way, I decided to add quinoa and bake it for twenty minutes. I liked the end result, and I hope that you do too. Have a blessed rest of your week!
Activity: Grits & Quinoa Casserole Pie for Breakfast and/or Brunch
Total Prepping and Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- (2) cups of grits
- (1/2) cup of quinoa
- (1) teaspoon of onion powder
- (1) teaspoon of garlic powder
- (1/2) cup of cheddar cheese or vegan cheese
- (1/4) cup of grapeseed, butter, or whatever oil you have
- (1/2) cup of soymilk or almond milk
- (1) tablespoon of parsley
- Bring three cups of water to a boil.
- Boil the quinoa for twenty minutes.
- Add two cups of grits to the boiling water.
- Stir the grits ever so often with a whisk.
- Add the milk, butter, cheese, quinoa, seasoning, and parsley to the pot and whisk together.
- Bake at 365 degrees for 22 minutes.
- Cut into triangle pie wedges after ten minutes.
- Makes 6 servings.
For the Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.
27 Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.
28 Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee.